Saturday, August 11, 2007

Obstacles/Obstáculos


“Obstacles are things a person sees when he takes his eyes off his goal.”

--teabag wisdom

Two basic thoughts are roaming around in my head today, well, two basic concepts or ideas: one, the concept of learning something new, okay not entirely new, but rather perfecting something I already know….kind of. You see, I think, no, I’m sure that the body learns much better than the mind, yes, think about it, who learned to ride a bicycle, your mind or your body?

So who plays the piano? If my mind had to play, I’m sure it would fail miserably, but my fingers somehow learn to find the keys and remember them, if my mind stays out of it…somewhat. Yes, yes, I know there is brain activity involved in what our body learns, but I really think we don’t give our bodies enough credit. They actually have a “mind of their own.” Babies don’t sit around thinking of how to walk, their body just does it.

About a hundred years ago I read a book called “Inner Tennis” and it was all about letting your body hit the ball without doing a lot of technical thinking. It was true, the best tennis I ever played was when I wasn’t thinking at all, but just following the ball with my eyes, watching it bounce and swinging my racket at it, willing it to go where I wanted. Oh, it was beautiful, but the moment I thought, “I hope I don’t miss this shot,” I was doomed, because my “mind” pushed my body out of the picture, and of course I missed the shot.

Obstacles, the title of today’s blog, you see the body doesn’t put obstacles in front of us, our mind does, our thinking….for example, “Oh, I can’t record my piano playing, I’m not good enough.” It’s our thinking that says “can’t,” not our body. If we allow it, our body is daring, smart, open, willing to learn. Our body says, I CAN!

The other thought, idea, concept, I just decided, I’ll save for another day.

Obstáculos

“Los obstáculos son cosas una persona ve cuando deja de ver su meta.”
--la sabiduría de una bolsa de té

Dos pensamientos básicos andan en mi cabeza hoy, bueno, dos conceptos o ideas: uno, el concepto de aprender algo nuevo, pues, no exactamente nuevo sino perfeccionando algo que ya sé…un poco. La verdad, creo, no, estoy segura que el cuerpo aprende mejor que la mente, sí, piénsalo, ¿quién aprendió montar en bicicleta, tu mente o tu cuerpo?

Entonces, ¿quién toca el piano? Si mi mente tuviera que tocar, estoy segura que fracasaría terriblemente, pero mis dedos de alguna manera aprenden encontrar las teclas y recordarlas, si mi mente no se mete en el asunto…algo. Sí, sí, sé que hay actividad del cerebro involucrado en lo que nuestro cuerpo aprende, pero creo que no le damos suficiente crédito al cuerpo. Para mí, el cuerpo tiene su propio “mente.” Los bebés no andan pensando cómo caminar, su cuerpo simplemente lo hace.

Hace como cien años leí un libro titulado “Inner Tennis” (perdón, no sé cómo traducir esto), y se trataba de dejar que tu cuerpo pegara la pelota sin pensar mucho en la técnica. Era cierto, el mejor tenis que jugaba tuvo lugar cuando no pensaba, sino seguía la pelota con los ojos, la miraba botar y la pegaba con mi raqueta, deseando que fuera dónde yo quería. Ay, era hermoso, pero el momento que pensé, “Espero que no me falle este punto,” estaba condenada al fracaso, porque mi “mente” quitó mi cuerpo de la escena y claro, perdí el punto.

Los obstáculos, el titulo del blog de hoy, ves que el cuerpo no pone los obstáculos en frente de nosotros, sino lo hace la mente, nuestros pensamientos…por ejemplo, “Ay, no puedo grabarme tocando el piano, porque no soy suficientemente buena.”

Nuestros pensamientos dicen “no puedo” no el cuerpo. Si lo dejamos, nuestro cuerpo es atrevido, listo, abierto, y desea aprender. Nuestro cuerpo dice “¡YO PUEDO!”

El otro pensamiento, idea, concepto, acabo de decidir, lo voy a guarder por otro día.

Soy Lorena.
8/11/07

No comments: