Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Two Pear Trees, One Pear

Hard as I try, I am not without frustrations and disappointments. As much as I love Nature, she is sometimes very cruel and I suffer from her cruelty. I try not to suffer, I try to avoid it, but come on, life is not fair...yes, I know it is not fair, I understand it but still that doesn't make it any easier to bear when unfair things happen.

Okay, here's the scene. We have two pear trees in our yard, down next to the labyrinth. They flower about every two years and produce pears, two different varieties, lovely small red ones and larger green ones. This year the red pear tree flowered beautifully and before I knew it was full of darling little red pears ripening on all the branches. There must have been fifty of them. I was so excited. The green pear tree blossomed too and produced several green pears. How wonderful to have our own organic pears to enjoy this fall, how special, how privileged we are.

Time passed and one day I was dancing in the labyrinth when I decided to check on the pears. They were gone! Every single pear was gone from the red pear tree! There were two pears left on the green pear tree. I couldn't believe it, didn't want to believe it. It was then I knew that the squirrels had taken them. That's what they do, they steal fruit, tomatoes even and bury them somewhere in the ground where they rot and completely go to waste. Not even the squirrels can use them. Why do they do this? I was devastated...all those beautiful pears...gone.

I waited, hoped and prayed the last two pears on the green pear tree would be allowed to ripen. I watched them every day, and then one day, there was only one pear left. That's when I I picked it, even though it was not ready to be picked. I picked it in order to save it from being wasted totally and brought it inside, placed it on a plate and hope that somehow it will ripen and we can eat it.

So that's why we have two pear trees and one pear. Well, I'm sorry, but it makes me sad.

(Mañana español)

Soy Lorena.
8/15/07

3 comments:

Indeterminacy said...

How sad. I didn't know the squirrels did that. Isn't there some way to scare them away?

Lorena's Blogbilingüe said...

I thought of that, but I would have to get a dog and tie him down there. Not a bad idea, but since I travel a lot, I wouldn't want to be leaving my dog in the kennel all the time. I'm thinking seriously about a fence, well, a fence with a top too. Squirrels are tricky.

Anonymous said...

Did you ever find a solution to the squirrels? They must have knocked down 100 peaars from our tree this year. Almost nothing left:(

But some years we've gotten lots of pears they didn't bother.