Thursday, August 2, 2007

Thee and Thou

(First of all, I'd like to give a big "THANK YOU" to Indie of indeterminacy.blogspot.com for mentioning my blog on his blog. Then I'd like to share with everyone who comes here to please read the three stories from May, 2007. The first story is "Where is the Answer?" Thank you!)

This morning as I was doing my morning ritual dance in front of the house I saw the moon looking faded but still up in the sky as the sun was rising on the other side. She had a dent in her top side now, part of her disappearing act and once again she will grow smaller and smaller and I will search in vain for her only to be surprised again when she returns and reaches her fullness and her beauty melts my heart.

I love you, Moon, I thought to myself but then decided that “you” was much too formal. “I love thee, Moon,” I wanted to say, but realized that sounded much too antiquated. Why did English lose its intimate form of speech? The romance languages managed to keep it and it’s beautiful and full of nuance. You know where you stand with people when you have a choice as to how to address them. They know where they stand with you. It’s good. It’s sweet. It’s perfect. But we don’t have it. Everyone is “you,” or “ya’ll” or “youse”, but those are not singular forms. I’m afraid the singular form of an intimate “you” is gone forever.

Imagine if I said to my husband, “Honey, wouldst thou like thy coffee now?” Oh my god, he’d think I had lost my marbles.

Well, I don’t see “thee” coming back anytime soon. What a shame!

“Tú” y “tu”

Esta mañana mientras hacía mi rito baile de la mañana en frente de la casa vi la Luna con aspecto débil pero todavía en el cielo cuando el Sol subía del otro lado. Tenía una abolladura arriba de su lado derecho, parte de su desaparecer y otra vez se haría más y más pequeña y la buscaré en vano hasta que un día tendré la sorpresa cuando regresa y llega a su faz llena y su belleza me derrite el corazón.

La quiero, Luna, pensé, pero entonces decidí que “la” fue demasiado formal. “Te quiero, Luna,” quería decir, pero (en inglés) eso suena demasiado anticuado. ¿Por qué el inglés perdió su forma intima de hablar? Las lenguas romance lograron a guardarla y es bella y llena de matices. Sabes cómo vas con la gente cuando tienes alternativa de la manera de hablarles, y vice versa. Es bueno. Es rico. Es perfecto. Pero no la tenemos. Todo el mundo es “usted” o “ustedes.” La forma de un “you” intimo está perdida para siempre.

Si hablara así a mi esposo pensaría que estaba yo un poco loca….”thee, thou” no va.

No veo que esa forma vaya a regresar en inglés pronto. ¡Qué lástima!

Soy Lorena.
8/2/07

2 comments:

Indeterminacy said...

Thou sounds so right in Shakespeare. German still has the distinction.

Lorena's Blogbilingüe said...

Yes, Shakespeare and the Bible are the only places we see thee and thou.