Monday, December 18, 2006

The Power of Dreams

I'm not talking about daydreams, soñar despierto, I'm talking about those night visitors, our crazy, illogical, out of sequence, time clashing erratic scenes from our unconscious that invade our sleeping minds when we think we're resting. Hah! Some rest...monkey-mind never stops, even in our sleep. Pero tienen un poder increíble también, nos dan consejos, nos dicen el futuro, nos explican cosas del pasado....un momento, did I say they tell us the future?

Uh, well, yes I did, actually. You want proof? ¿Una prueba? Okay, when I was twelve I dreamed I was with a girlfriend and nearby was a boy talking to some friends. He had black hair, was not tall and he was Spanish speaking, sí, hispanohablante. Yo, en ese entonces no hablaba español. I turned to my girlfriend and said, "That's the man I'm going to marry." Diez años después me casé con Rafael who fit the description of the boy in my dream.

A more powerful dream me llegó sobre un amigo mexicano. Lo soñe en el año 83 creo. I think I dreamed it in 1983 or thereabouts. Anyway, mi amigo, Alfredo y yo estamos caminando en Nueva York, una ciudad que él amaba y conocía bien. Pasamos por muchos barrios, hablando con gente y todo, pero queremos llegar a un destino no me acuerdo dónde. So, we are walking and walking through the streets of New York. Suddenly, Alfredo crosses a bridge and a giant steel wall comes down and separates me from him. Maybe it's more like a door. Esta puerta de acero cae fuerte y no hay paso para mí. Grito, llamo a Alfredo, pero no puedo pasar y él no puede regresar. I'm desperate that he can't come back and I can't reach him.

Six years later Alfredo was killed by a car while crossing a street in New York. Fue matado por un coche que corría a toda velocidad.

Lo más extraño de los sueños para mí es que me acordaba siempre de los sueños toda la vida hasta llegar a los principios de los años 90. Desde entonces, no me acuerdo casi nada de mis sueños.......how strange. My day life changed, big time and my night life seemed to disappear.

What do your dreams tell you? ¿Qué te dicen tus sueños? ¿Te aconsejan? ¿Te dicen el futuro?

It's all very interesting, this life we are living, these dreams we are dreaming.

Soy Lorena
12/18/06

No comments: