Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Assumptions

No supongas, suponer te hace inventar historias...y después creerlas y traen sufrimiento. Don Miguel tells us not to make assumptions, but oh, my god, how easy we do it and don't even realize it most of the time.

I'm looking for my daughter. I call her telephone number, the phone rings and rings, no one answers, no answering machine, nothing. She is not there, (I assume). No está, y me preocupo dónde estará a estas horas. Dejo mensajes en su celular pero no me llama. I go to bed with an uneasy mind. Where is she? Where is she? ¿Dónde andará? No quiero pero me imagino que fue sequestrada y no puede comunicarse con nadie. En seguida me digo que esto es ridículo. No, she hasn't been kidnapped, but she is alone. Her boyfriend is out of the country for ten days and she's on her own. Before I sleep I ask the Universe for help, pido sosiego. Durante la noche sueño con ella, estamos hablando por teléfono un buen rato y todo está bien, me tranquilizo. La luz del día me ayuda ver todo de otro color. I wake up calmer, not worrying. Somehow I think all is well.

I call her cell phone. She picks up. "Hi, mom. What's up?"

"Where are you?"

"Driving back to town."

"I tried to call you but there was no answer. It just rang and rang."

"Oh, my phone is dead. I don't know what's wrong with it. I have no dial tone."

Assumptions. ¿Por qué pensamos o suponemos lo peor? I didn't think of a dead phone.

Este es otro ejemplo de cuando rompemos uno de los acuerdos, sufrimos a consecuencia de hacerlo. How to be aware of the potential of making assumptions before we make them, that's the challenge.

More on the Four Agreements to come......y mi lucha personal con ellos.

Assumptions have about as much substance as those clouds I enjoyed from the window of the airplane.

Soy Lorena
12/19/06

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

¡Gracias por tus lindas palabras en mi fotoblog, Lorena!
Los cuatro acuerdos, un libro esencial que sigue enseñándome.
¡Que tenga felices fiestas de Navidad, llenas de paz, magia y cariño!
Un cálido abrazo

Lorena's Blogbilingüe said...

Gracias, Cristal, igualmente, seguimos adelante con los Acuerdos y la Vida.

Un abrazo fuerte,

Lorena

N. L. said...

Hi Lorena,

I enjoyed your entry about assumptions... Don Miguel and Carlos Castaneda are favorites of mine too!

Have a great new year!

N.L.