Thursday, December 21, 2006

Winter Solstice

El solsticio del invierno....when the day is the same length as the night. This is a time when we should be in perfect balance. But are we? No hubo sol en la mañana, la nubes taparon todo y no salió mi sol hasta la tarde, ay, pero qué tarde, qué sol y qué puesta del sol (exclamation point here). El cielo tenía nubes que estallaban en "llamas" teñidas de un color tan inusitado que no encuentro nombre. ¿Color albaricoque? ¿Chabacano? ¿Anaranjado-durazno? Peach, apricot, orange, flaming orange........I don't know, maybe it was its own special color without name, sans nom, sin nombre...heaven's color. There was so much to see, to absorb, and then night fell as it tends to do.
And that was the day. It began in darkness and ended in darkness and what I want to know is, was I there? Am I here? Where is here? ¿Dónde está aquí? Si hago caso a mi mente, pues, estoy en México, pero mi cuerpo está acá en Nueva Inglaterra, este terreno frío. In my dreams during the night I am in "fantasy land." ¿Verdad? Where is the dream world? Where is cyberspace? I have heard we exist in several dimensions at the same time. Well, now I'm beginning to believe it. My head, my dreams, my words in cyberspace, my body can all be in different places at the same time. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh(signo de admiración).

Well, I was intending to talk about something else, heh, heh, but you know how it is, I never know what I'm going to say until I say it. ;-)

So.....hoy es el solsticio y me acordé de un cuento para niños acerca de un ratón llamado Federico que en vez de guardar comida para el invierno, él guarda los colores. Los otros ratones lo regañan porque para ellos Federico es perezoso, no trabaja. Pasa el tiempo y llega el invierno. Al principio todos están contentos comiendo la comida que tenían guardada, pero después se acaba la comida y los días se ponen grises y fríos y los ratones empiezan a deprimirse. Entonces, Federico saca sus colores y los comparte con todos los ratones y todos se animan y así aguantan el resto del invierno.

So the moral of the story is that every job is as important as every other job. We need artists as well as doctors, dancers and bankers, musicians and carpenters, hotel administrators and insurance salespeople, waiters and actors, usually waiter/actor combo. We all have a place in this universe.

That's what I was thinking about on this winter solstice day.

Feliz solsticio. Happy Solstice.

Soy Lorena
12/21/06

No comments: