Saturday, December 16, 2006

Are you lost?

¿Estás perdido? Is this what I meant? Oh, these languages can be so confusing at times. If I am lost in my language, it can mean that I am not familiar with my surroundings or it can mean that I am a "lost soul." But it's clearer en español. "Estoy perdida" y "Soy perdida" son dos cosas distintas. Por ejemplo, estoy caminando en el bosque cuando de repente no veo bien el camino de regreso, doy vueltas y digo "estoy perdida." Prefiero estar perdida que ser perdida. ¿Por qué? Si estoy perdida, pues, puedo morirme en el bosque si no encuentro la salida y nadie me rescata, y si soy perdida, bueno, sigo viviendo la vida mala pero estoy viva. Okay, I admit, this is crazy, but it's something to think about. Hay otro punto de vista que describe este poeta:

"Wherever you are is called Here.
And you must treat it as a powerful stranger.
The forest knows where you are.
You must let it find you." (David Wagoner)

When do you feel lost? Para nosotros los Baby Boomers, nos sentimos perdidos tal vez cuando tenemos que hacer algo nuevo con nuestras computadoras, o cuando viajamos por el mundo y hay máquinas en vez de personas para ayudarnos comprar boletos, etc. My father once said to me before his mind began to fail that the world was changing too much, that he couldn't understand the world anymore. Sometimes I feel that way, but I am still HERE and I don't have much choice about how the world is changing. I am forced to upgrade. Learn the lingo, get on board, don't get left behind. ¿Por qué mi nieto sabe más que yo sobre este mundo cuando he vivido más que él? ¿Me estoy poniendo vieja? I need to get with the program.

Perhaps I must "let the world find me." How to do that may take some time and meditation. Well, what else am I doing here besides eating, sleeping, working, cleaning the house and making love? I suppose I'm trying to figure it all out....get it right, I used to say. Will I ever get it right? ¿Qué quiere decir get it right? I'm not even sure how to say that in Spanish. Hacerlo bien, quizá. Creo que me falta vivir más vidas....me falta mucho, todavía, pero aquí estoy haciendo lo máximo que puedo en esta vida, es todo lo que puedo hacer, just do my best and hope for the best.

So, am I lost? Perhaps, perhaps we are all lost or perhaps we are all here, wherever that is.

Anyway, this earth is holding us and the earth knows where we are. That must be a comfort.

Soy Lorena.
12/16/06

No comments: