Saturday, June 16, 2007

My Three Little Pigs

Where do these little characters come from? Where do they live? On the "farm?" The "farm" of my imagination. Maybe. I imagine them, I invent them, I find them to be more real each day, with their voices, with their problems, their conflicts--and I sing them, and the musicians and I sing them, bringing them to life. Do they exist? And if they exist, where are they?

Where are all of the characters in novels? The characters based on flesh and blood people. These characters sometimes seem more real than real people. When I finish reading a story, for example, I feel like I know the protagonist better than my representative in Congress, even though he answers my letters once in a while.

The story of Huey, Louie and Dewey, a story I invented in order to help my students learn Spanish, exists first in my mind, then on paper and finally in the mind of my students, and then it exists in the Universe. It's strange. There are so many things in the Universe, and it never gets full.

My crazy thoughts for today.

Soy Lorena.
6/16/07

No comments: