Monday, March 26, 2007

My Three Personalities












Doing theater is about dressing up, pretending to be someone else, and knowing that it's okay, well, even better than okay, it's accepted, acknowledged, looked at and applauded.

Este fin de semana fui tres distintos personajes, Kristin, la novia del acusado, Rebecca, la profesora del arte dramático en la universidad y Reggie, la policia. Son personajes de a de veras, no son inventadas, y son personas totalmente distintas de como soy yo de verdad, entonces, la pregunta es (porque siempre hay una pregunta), LA PREGUNTA ES: ¿Cómo puedo interpretar a estas personas que no son como yo? ¿Cómo lo hago? ¿Qué tengo que hacer para que sea creíble al público?

Pues, yo digo que no somos tan distintos como pensamos, primero, y segundo, cada persona tiene algo en común con su vecino, dependiendo de las circunstancias que nos presenta la vida. ¿Me explico? Por ejemplo, sé que soy una persona de paz, que no me gusta la violencia, que no me gusta la idea de herir a otra persona, pero si alguien amenazara a mi hija, por ejemplo, sería capaz de defenderla y tal vez hasta matar...pienso, quizás.

I don't like blood either, especially other people's blood, but one day there was a man bleeding in the street, bleeding on his face, and I happened to pass him in the street just as he sat down on the sidewalk. He asked me for help. There was no one else around. He had fallen down in the street and cut his face. I wanted to run away, not be there, but instead I helped him. I gave him my last tissue and helped him get up. I offered to call the police to help him, but he didn't want me to, and then he went on his way. Somehow I overcame my own queasiness, el sentido de marearme, e hice lo que tenía que hacer en ese momento.

Entonces, el punto es, the point is, we all have inner resources I'd like to call them, inner resources deep inside us, and when we are pushed we can pull them out. Podemos hacer lo que nunca pensamos que pudiéramos hacer, inclusive, hacer el papel de un/una policía. How would this policewoman react in this situation? How does she do her job and still have feelings, feelings of sympathy, of caring? How is she soft and tough at the same time?

That's what being human is all about.

Living with opposites.

Viviendo con las contradicciones.

Aceptando la vida como es.

Reaccionando a las circunstancias como vengan.

Mis tres personalidades...o más.

How many "characters" do I have inside? Well, that's a topic for another day.

Soy Lorena.
3/26/07

No comments: