Thursday, July 19, 2007

Faces in the Stone/ Caras en la Piedra






One stone, five faces, called out to me on the beach. At first I only saw the face with the wide open mouth, but then as I picked it up and turned it over, other faces began to emerge, one, then two, and days later more faces appeared.

A frightened face, an angry face, a sad face, a "nah, I don't believe you" face all within one small stone flung from the ocean, pushed by the waves to land by the shoreline and somehow and for some reason find itself at my feet to be picked up and studied by me, a fellow traveler on this planet at this precise moment.

What do I have in common with this little stone? I have many faces too, a happy face when I wake up and take my first breath awakening to a new day, a sad face when I think about those less fortunate than me who suffer and die needlessly, an angry face when I see my government taking away my human rights, a "Nah, I don't believe you" face when someone is pulling my leg.

These are the faces you can see. What about the other "faces" that are not seen so easily?

How many faces do you have?

How many do you show?

Babies show all their faces every moment with no inhibitions. When do we learn to hide our faces? Our critical faces, our judgmental faces, our bigoted faces, our intolerant faces?

Let us bring out our loving faces and let them shine!

Caras en la Piedra

Una piedra, cinco caras me llamaron en la playa. Al principio solo vi la cara con la boca abierta, pero cuando la recogí y la volteé, otras caras empezaron a aparecer, una, después dos, and días más tarde aparecieron más caras.

Una cara asustada, una cara enojada, una cara triste, una "No, no te creo" cara todo dentro de una piedrita echada del mar, empujada por las olas a quedarse en la orilla y por equis razón encontrarse a mis pies para estar recogida y estudiada por mí, una viajera en este planeta en este preciso momento.

¿Qué tengo en común con esta pequeña piedra? Tengo muchas caras también, una cara contenta cuando me despierto y tomo aire enfrentando un nuevo día, una cara triste cuando pienso en los menos afortunados que sufren y mueren sin razón, una cara enojada cuando veo que mi gobierno anda quitando mis derechos de seres humanos, una "No, no te creo" cuando alguien me toma el pelo.

Estas son las caras que puedes ver. ¿Y las otras "caras" que no se ven tan fácilmente?

¿Cuántas caras tienes?

¿Cuántas muestras?

Los bebés muestran todas sus caras cada momento sin ningún problema. ¿Cuándo aprendemos a esconder nuestras caras? ¿Nuestras caras criticonas, nuestras caras que juzgan, nuestras caras intolerantes?

¡Vamos a sacar nuestras caras afectuosas y dejarlas brillar!

Soy Lorena.
7/19/07

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

En las piedras se encuentran grabadas tantas cosas como inagotable y libre es nuestra mente y nuestra conexion con la naturaleza y el universo, en donde vive y de donde viene la fuerza creadora de todo.

Guardare tu piedra como lo que es una piedra preciosa.
Insertada estara entre las otras, esas que cuentan mi historia.

luis.

Indeterminacy said...

A lovely post! It reminded me a little of the Jorge Luis Borges story about the blue stones which couldn't be counted.

Thanks for commenting photo 405 - I finally answered all the comments - and sorry it took me so long to do.