Monday, February 2, 2009

Fragments

We have been here in San Miguel now for two weeks.  The time is flying by so fast, each day exquisite and my life is perfect.  Here is a bit of my journal:

We walk everywhere and always there is something interesting to see and experience.  There are two things I want to mention that stand out here.  One makes no sense, the other is just unique to Mexico I think.  The one that makes no sense is the way the sidewalks are constructed.  First of all, they are very narrow so two people can't walk side by side and have a conversation while strolling down the street.  Next, as you are walking along single file, suddenly there is a telephone pole or sometimes a tree right smack dab in the middle of the sidewalk and in order to go around it you have to step into the street.  Be careful there isn't a taxi or bus coming toward you.  Once in awhile there will be a pipe sticking up out of the sidewalk for no apparent reason, so you had better keep your eyes on your feet.  The other day someone dropped a jar of mustard on the sidewalk.  Each day I watched as the splattered mustard became drier and drier.  Oh yes, there are a lot of stray dogs around and you know where they choose to do their duty...of course, on the sidewalk we are ambling down.  I consider every day walking the streets an adventure.

The other thing I call unique to Mexico is the various aromas in the air.  As I walk down the street, if I am breathing and managing to keep my feet out of trouble, I notice the smell of fresh laundry soap, but a few moments later I smell rotting produce.  As I pass an open clothing store, a whiff of Patchouli incense fills my nostrils;  then I may smell freshly baked bread coming from the panaderia I pass and next the exhaust from an urbano, the local bus.  Then perhaps a young Mexican man will walk by me and leave a trail of after shave that will make me dizzy with nostalgia for my adolescent days.  And so it goes, a woman's perfume, rotting vegetables, fresh bread, laundry soap, the cooking oil smell of someone frying tortillas on the corner, a never ending inhalation of aromas coming and going and sparking images from my past and perhaps even memories from a future yet to be.

No comments: