Monday, February 5, 2007

¿Dónde estoy?

Where am I really, I've been wondering these last few days since I "returned" to my home to be greeted by the first real snow of the season. ¿Dónde estoy, dónde estaba, dónde he estado? No, no estoy conjugando verbos....I'm not doing verb conjugations, mis alumnos, quiero saber o más bien, entender exactamente por qué me siento cambiada, como si fuera otra persona. Las experiencias que he tenido durante este viaje han sido tan profundas para mí, que realmente no sé cómo encontrar las palabras para explicar bien lo que siento. Lo que sí puedo decir es que existen muchos mundos a la vez. Las ruinas en Chiapas, por ejemplo, vestigios de una civilisación compleja y pasada pero un mundo que todavía existe porque lo visitamos los seres humanos de esta epoca, este siglo veintiuno y lo seguimos creando. We read about the Mayans, there are numerous books, we look at their art, their science, their culture and we marvel. We climb up their stone stairs to the tops of their pyramids and look out trying to imagine what their daily life was really like. We know it took hundreds of years to build some of these cities and we are amazed to think of the stamina and perseverance of these people. And I say this world still exists. It is not gone. Lo veo en las caras de la gente que anda en las calles dónde caminaba yo y lo veo en los ritos y ceremonias que sigue haciendo la gente de los pueblos de hoy, tradiciones y costumbres que viven al lado del mundo de la gente moderna del siglo veintiuno. For a moment we touched. I touched and felt this other world that I would not otherwise touch had I not stepped out of my "world" and allowed myself to enter in to unknown and mysterious places. ¿Dónde estoy? I'm not sure. Am I here or am I still there?
In my head I still see the richness of what I have experienced, I have vivid mental pictures, but my body and hands are doing what I must to catch me up back into this "world" where I spend most of my time.

¿Dónde estaba? Bajo el Sol mexicano que me quemó con su amor y traigo la prueba en mi piel bronzeada.

¿Dónde he estado? Where have I not been? seems more appropriate. Yes, I have been only in a tiny piece of a world, but it is huge at the same time. And if this doesn't make sense, well, it doesn't have to. Some part of me understands.

Ahora el frío me abraza con su temperatura de -15 centigrados, 4 F. Es un frío que penetra hasta los huesos. Ayer salí para hacer ejercicio, pero hoy no me atreví....I didn't dare, I just danced indoors and left the cold to itself. Now there is sunshine. It helps to ease the cold a little.

Soy Lorena
2/5/07

No comments: